Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Prince and Dragon



I posted about this dramatic sequence from Sleeping Beauty before. Here is some more material showing aspects of the production process.
Actor Ed Kemmer (1921 - 2004) acted out action scenes for animator Ken Hultgren, who drew most of the Prince footage, as he fights the growing thorns and the Dragon.





A number of scenes were animated with a variety of dragon designs, before the final appearance became finalized. Eric Cleworth animated most of the Dragon, but I am convinced that Marc Davis added some graphic strength to this character. Drawing # 21 looks very much like Marc's work.








These are earlier posts on the same subject:




5 comments:

  1. oh, I didn't know that Ken Hultgren did that stuff!
    I'm really surprised with those different dragon designs too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about Ken Hultgren on the Sleeping Beauty Diamond Edition Blu-ray it's very intresting how the move and the action scene of fighting the dragon, best scene ever and it sounds like a video game like The Legend of Zelda a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! Such an iconic scene. I always enjoy seeing the live action reference photos that inspired the animators' performances. The dragon must have been an especially fun and challenging assignment, both in developing the design and capturing its/her powerful movements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr. Deja,

    My name is Elijah Anderson and I am a huge fan of your animation on some of my favorite Disney films. I have a project that I hope you might be interested in. My father Keith Anderson, PhD, who has written two novels, various screenplays, and lots of articles, has written a short story called “Why I Fell in Love with Football”, which details how he developed a passion for playing football at a young age, which eventually led to a full-ride scholarship to Boise State University, where he played two years as a strong safety. Even at 61 and with bad knees, he says he would do it all over again. When my father posted this short story on Facebook, it was well-received, with many fans suggesting he turn it into a book. But after the advent of Kobe Bryant and Glen Keane’s animated short film Dear Basketball and its recent Oscar win, we thought that “Why I Fell in Love with Football” would make a great subject for an animated short film. And since neither of us have any experience in animation, we were wondering if you would be interested in taking up this kind of project. If your schedule is too full, then I understand. Thank you for your time.

    Sincerely,
    Elijah Anderson

    ReplyDelete